A new report commissioned by the UK government proposes a clear change in the strategic direction of IP policy designed to ensure that the UK has an IP framework best suited to supporting innovation and promoting economic growth in the digital age.
The Review recommends:
- an efficient digital copyright licensing system.
- an approach to exceptions in copyright.
- a patent system capable of preventing heavy demand for patents.
- reliable and affordable advice for smaller companies.
- refreshed institutional governance of the UK’s IP system.
Digital Opportunity – A Review of Intellectual Property and Growth (Prof. Ian Hargreaves, May 2011).